Seniors over 65 are most at risk of a fire injury ,they comprise 30% of fire accidents that occur at home.
A majority of residential fires begin in the kitchen and are often as a result of cooking being left unattended on the stove. Other common causes of fire include mechanical failures, falling asleep while smoking, faulty wiring.
Why Are Older People at Risk?
- Many live alone and in old homes, which usually have faulty wiring.
- They may not be able to take quick action necessary in a fire emergency.
- They may be on medication that affects their ability to make quick decisions.
- Some seniors show tendency of Hoarding.
- Forgetfulness is more prominent in seniors.
Fire safety products
Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers drastically reduce the chances of fire accidents to your loved ones.
- Install a smoke alarm outside, but close to the kitchen.
- Buy a battery operated photoelectric type.
Buy it here www.amazon.in/smoke alarm.
- One minimum of 2kg at the exit of the kitchen.
- Learn how to use it.
Buy it here www.amazon.in/fire extinguisher.
Simple Fire Precautions Tips
- Please take time to discuss these fire precautions with your parents.
- Fire Safety Number In India is 101.
- Replace outdated appliances and electrical devices.
- Replace candles at home with emergency lighting and inverters.
- Most kitchen fires occur because food is left unattended on the stove or in the oven. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, take a spoon or potholder with you to remind you to return to the kitchen.
- If a fire breaks out in a pan, put a lid on the pan. Never throw water on a grease fire.
- Do not use pest sprays in kitchen, they are highly flammable.
- Don’t overload power points.
- For smokers, never smoke in bed or while laying on a couch.
Seniors will often need assistance from family members to put safety measures into place. As well, family members are in the best position to reinforce the precautions necessary to help their loved ones prevent or respond to a fire.
A quality smoke alarm and a extinguisher put together will not cost more than 3000/-. Be safe than sorry.